Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Are You a Woman?

A recent trip to the library went something like this...

Random dude walking around the library: "You're so tall!"

Me: "Yeah, I guess."

Random dude: "Are you a woman?"

Me: "Uh.  Last time I checked."

Random dude: "You're so tall!"

And then he walked away.  Such a strange encounter.  I'm tall for the average woman, but coming in at just shy of 5' 10", I hardly classify as Man-Tall.  And, I'm under no delusions that I will be winning Miss Universe anytime soon (well, anytime, ever) but I've never really thought I had a mannish face or figure.  He didn't look obviously disturbed, but I'm guessing he was a few tacos short of a fiesta platter.

But then, I started thinking.  I guess I can't blame the guy too much, because I've had to ask myself the same question a time or two.  Not, in the I'm-in-need-of-a-sex-change sort of way, of course.  More like, it's confusing to be a woman with a predominantly male personality (INTJ). I don't quite know who to identify with.  I mean, I look at the world and process things through a lens that I usually share with other men, not women.  But, I'm not a man (even if it's not obvious to certain patrons of the library).  I like being a woman.  I'm a wife and a mother.  I enjoy traditionally feminine hobbies, like sewing and collaging, and one of my favorite movies is Pride and Prejudice (the 4 hours A&E version, of course). 

One time, in a college small group at church, we had to share our favorite CD, book, and movie as a means to get to know one another (oh the joy).  I can't ever say I have a favorite, so I shared some favorites at the time, Beyonce's latest, Stephen King novels, and John Wayne's The  Quiet Man.  One guy said, "What does that say about her?"  And my pastor said, "It says she's a very complicated woman."  A joke, but it stuck with me all these years, because, well, it was what I had always suspected.

There's nothing wrong with being complicated, it makes for an interesting life, but sometimes, when all you want is a straight answer it can be so confusing.  I find this the most perplexing when I contemplate how to be who God made me to be.  He made me a woman.  But, he made me, in many ways, not like other women.  A cruel joke, perhaps? 

I went to a women's retreat this weekend.  I dreaded the chit chat and the display of emotion, but I thought a lot about what it means to be a woman...what it means for me to be a woman.  Dr. Don Davis lead a session entitled "Fierce Tenderness," highlighting strengths of women as seen in the book of Ruth.  I loved it, and I hated it.  He didn't use flowery words to paint a picture of a Kingdom woman and I thought, finally, an identity as a woman I can get behind!  But then I try to apply it to my every day, being a missionary, being a wife, being a mother, and things get all jumbled up in my head. 

Perhaps it bothers me so much because, by nature, I have a need to make sense of things...and I just haven't been able to make sense of it all.  Yet, one thought has lingered since the retreat.  Maybe I have always been afraid to embrace the "tenderness" of being a woman.  I can totally get behind the "fierce, " but tenderness is not something I openly display.  It requires vulnerability, and usually it requires an emphasis on relationship (and let's face it, I'm prone to pick task over relationship any day).  Maybe I'm scared of what life-changes would be asked of me if I were to embrace the two approaches together.  Maybe it would be easier if I did.  Maybe it would be harder.  Maybe it would make me look at my roles as a wife and mother and missionary differently, maybe....

In all the complexity I can hold on to two truths.  God made me a woman and I was created to have a Kingdom impact.  And, I suppose I have to let God work out the details in me one step at a time.  I'm hoping it's sooner than later.  And just in case there is any lingering doubt, let it be said again for the record...I am a woman.

3 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to this post. Thank you.
    In my life there is always that weird tension when it comes to friendships. My best friends, while growing up, have mostly been girls but those friendships have always been loaded with misunderstandings, especially during teenage years.
    I have come to the conclusion that working with men is so much easier. With women there is always that question in the air "where do I stand socially? Am I accepted?". With men, I don't see that question, I just join, work and when I'm done I leave. Another thing I've experienced while working with people: Women gossip when they are insecure and I just cannot stand that. I am still trying to find out a good way to address that when it happens. Who knows, maybe praying is the best solution, I guess. I don't necessarily mean that in a judgmental way. It just really turns me off when I am trying hard to relate and fit in somehow. A lot of times I think that my husband is my only real friend because he takes the time to understand me, my feelings and my vision. I love my husband, he really does make me whole. Because...yeah INTJs do have feelings apparently.
    One thing I found out about INTJs is that during mid-life-crisis they usually get softer, open up more and learn how to communicate better. I find though that with female INTJs that stage comes already with marriage, pregnancy, children etc. I find that interesting. Also the general INTJ depression comes earlier for women. It is good for us to get softened because we learn to understand what we are made for. WE REALLY ARE MADE TO BE PART OF THIS WORLD...in our own weird way.

    I would really like to ask you a question, Adria. I am not offended if you find it too personal to share. But I still want to get this out there:

    What is your personal vision for your life? What is that one thing that you want to accomplish during your earthly time? What is the impact you feel called to work on?

    Now, I want to ask this...Does your vision look pretty impossible for someone to just quickly do it? That is more than perfect. INTJs are natural, strong leaders, they fit very well in the kingdom, as you said - but they do not fit in the crowd as you know. You go ahead, you hit your head on the walls so people can follow through those walls. It is more than perfect to be an INTJ but it sure is challenging...

    Love
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adria,

    If you are 5' 10" and have this attitude, I'd love to see this Random Dude looking at you, wearing 3-4" heels and clothing appropriate to the shoes. I have always appreciated women who are proud of themselves and cloth accordingly, without giving as much as even a hint to the wrong direction. Dudes like you describe are not worth anything - they live in their world which is so small they can hardly fit in themselves.

    Just keep on going and don't pay any attention to anyone unworthy to your honest self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete