Wednesday, August 29, 2012

How to Hug an INTJ

I don't hate hugs, it's just that, like other social interactions, I feel awkward while attempting them. As a whole, we INTJs aren't known for our touchy-feely behavior. We have larger than normal personal bubbles, and physical interactions (just as with everything) tend to be purposeful and business-like.

Hugging is a social expectation that I could do without 95% of the time. Not only is there the issue of the invasion of personal space, but I'm not always the best at picking up social cues. To hug or not to hug? Is now the appropriate moment? Are they a side-hugger? Whose arm goes on top (tall women have to worry about these extra things)? What is the appropriate length of this hug? Who lets go first? It's just stressful.

With a recent move there has been lots of hugging, many of which were meaningful, some of which were just awkward. But, there was one hug that made me laugh even while I cried; it was with another INTJ. There were very few words spoken. The length of the hug (although maybe not long by other's standards) said volumes. We both got choked up and did what any good INTJ would do in an emotional situation, say a gruff goodbye and turn and walk our separate ways. We had said all we needed to say.

Most hugs don't speak INTJ language. And, while we look self-assured, in social situations, we're taking our cues from the rest of you! So, non-INTJs, here's how to hug an INTJ:
  1. Don't. I'm only joking (mostly). But there is something to be said about a good handshake.
  2. Make exaggerated hugging gestures as you approach so we have time to prepare ourselves.
  3. Get straight to business. A firm and brief technique is preferred.
  4. And, finally, let go. If your form of hug isn't brief, give us verbal play-by-play, "I love hugs. I'm not letting go yet!" That way we can worry less about when to let go and more about being emotionally assaulted.

2 comments:

  1. This is why I have taken to the high-5. No awkwardness. Only smiles all around. People have come to understand that my high-5 is an ever-so-brief tiny hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could give people brain hugs with no actual touching. Just a passing of understanding from one brain to another. Wait...maybe thats what words are for. =)

    ReplyDelete