Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Conversation With God

I'm a doubter, an over-analyzer, a worrier.  I'll rethink an issue until I'm swimming in negative thoughts and possibilities, or in the very least I will question everything.  It drives my "glass half full" husband crazy.  I've worked over the years to calm my mind, to speak truth to myself instead of negativiy.  I love that the Scriptures are so real, and I can find any emotion or doubt reflected in people of the Bible.  I can cling to the promises that God has made to His people for all of time and watch their faith in God be proved right.

During one such season of worry and doubt I wrote this to remind myself that God is who He says He is.  I can know nothing for certain in this world except the Lord is who He says He is, and is always with me and will always lead me if I truly seek Him:

“Why dost Thou stand afar, O Lord?  Why dost Thou hide Thyself in times of trouble?” (Psalm 10:1)

“Here I am.” (Isaiah 52:6c)

“How long, O Lord?  Wilt Thou forget me forever?  How long wilt Thou hide Thy face from me?” (Psalm 13:1)

“Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands, your walls are continually before Me.” (Isaiah 49:16)

“Hear. O Lord, when I cry with my voice and be gracious to me and answer me.” (Psalm 27:7)

“Seek My face.”  (Psalm 27:8)

Teach me Thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a level path.” (Psalm 27:11)

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you.” (Psalm 32:8)

“Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.” (Matthew 8:2c)

“I am willing.” (Matthew 8:3b)

“Behold…your iniquity is taken away and your sin is forgiven.” (Isaiah 6:7b,c)  Now “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” (Isaiah 6:8b)

“Alas, Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, because I am a youth.” (Jeremiah 1:6)

“Do not say, ‘I am a youth,’ because everywhere I send you, you shall go, and all that I command you, you shall speak.” (Jeremiah 1:7)

But “Who am I, that I should go?”  (Exodus 3:10)

“Certainly I will be with you.” (Exodus 3:12a)

“Behold, I am insignificant, what can I reply to Thee?” (Job 40:4a)

But “I am about to do a thing in Israel at which both ears of every one who hears it will tingle.” (I Samuel 3:11)

“Teacher, I will follow You wherever You go.” (Matthew 8:19b)

“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20)

“Search me, O God, and know my heart, try me and know my anxious thoughts […] and lead me in the everlasting way.” (Psalm 139:23-24)

“I know the plans that I have for you […] to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11) “My lovingkindness will not be removed from you, and My covenant of peace will not be shaken.” (Isaiah 54:10b,c)  “For I am the Lord your God, who stirs up the sea and its waves roar […] I have put My words in your mouth, and have covered you with My hand.” (Isaiah 51:15-16)



For such is God,

Our God forever and ever,

He will guide us until death.

(Psalm 48:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment